Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Stubborn


I've lived here for nearly 38 years....  Gotten used to a lot, but one thing that still irks me is the Serbs' stubbornness.

I often pass this restaurant on the pedestrian street, Knez Mihailova.  This chalkboard has two sides--one menu in Serbian, the other in English....almost.  Would most foreigners know what 'przenice' is??

For your information, 'przenice' is French toast. I called over a waiter and pointed this out and told him I'd be happy to write it down for him.  At this point he got very indignant and said, "Well, we have photos if they don't understand."  I countered, "Fine, but isn't it easier just to write it in English? And then why don't you have, for example, 'kajgan' for omelet, too?"  He got huffy and showed me the photos....  He said he'd change it...I'll be strolling back.

I asked if I could take a photo since I have a photoblog and thought my readers might get a chuckle out of this....and to that he agreed.  (?)  I should have asked him to pose, but didn't want to push my luck.

There are two other mistakes I told him to look for....do you see them?

3 comments:

William Kendall said...

Well, I do notice vdg, which I wouldn't use as a short form of vegetarian. And instead of kinds, just kind in four kind of cheese.

Now that you define what it is, przenice suits me nicely.

Kate said...

Actually, I think that those words are opportunities for discussion between tourist and owner.

Lowell said...

I think you ought to rewrite this menu in Spanish. Just for kicks. And re your wringing the bell at the house in question in Ocala, you'd probably be greeted with "Hola!." Vamous! Idioto!"

YANKEE IN NICE

 Edit: pastis is a licorice-flavored alcoholic drinksimilar to Greek ouzo. My favorite drink as it is for many people in this area. No more ...