Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Observation Point


In World War I, after crossing over Albania where it was annihilated, the Serbian Army recovered after a while and occupied its position at the Macedonian front, which spread across the mountain Kajmakčalan in Маcedonia. On the top of this mountain there was the observation post of the Serbian Army High Command.

This monument is located in a park near me,  Pioneers Park, named for Tito's Pioneers Youth Movement. Here's a photo from this blog, where you can read more about them.




3 comments:

JudithK said...

What am I seeing behind the bas reliefs? A natural rock formation? Being ignorant about the part of the world where you live, I have just looked up a bit of history circa WWII. Should have known. Lives lost, suffering.
Over and over, and on it goes.

Bob Crowe said...

Are there mixed feelings about this?

xdexx said...

No mixed feelings, at the time. I was one of them, in the late 60s/early 70s. It was fine in the good old SFRJ, at least for us, the ordinary folk. Later, in post-Tito Yugoslavia, during years at Belgrade Art Academy, a red pioneer-scarf was part of my cool outfit. We even had an art-punk band called 'Pioneers'... :-)

YANKEE IN NICE

 Edit: pastis is a licorice-flavored alcoholic drinksimilar to Greek ouzo. My favorite drink as it is for many people in this area. No more ...