Thursday, October 1, 2020

Polenta and butter/cheese


 I'm back in Belgrade now, but I have just spent two weeks on a self-imposed writer's retreat in a small town in the country, where I could write without distractions. I got a very good deal on food and board, almost unbelieveable--three meals a day, room for only 15 euros...I was in heaven. The food was great, though typical Serbian fare:  yummy, but meat at every meal and enough for two.

This breakfast though has no meat, though some people add bacon to it. It is polennta, with two generous dollops of 'kajmak' (KYE-mak), which is layers of buttery cream skimmed off milk and used sometimes in place to butter.

My cholesterol is not happy. I added the smiley face.

3 comments:

s.c said...

It not only looks nice but also looks like a real stomach filler.

William Kendall said...

I think I've heard of that before.

Rockinon said...

Looks good, sounds great but I'm sure it is off my heart-healthy diet.

YANKEE IN NICE

 Edit: pastis is a licorice-flavored alcoholic drinksimilar to Greek ouzo. My favorite drink as it is for many people in this area. No more ...