Sunday, May 25, 2008

Look out below!

Yesterday downtown this giant crane was blocking the street. I waited to see why, and in a few moments workers appeared on top of the building to attach a large desk to cables and lower it to the van below. This may be a common site in some larger world cities, but moving furniture this way here is a novelty. My only question was why this particular ordinary-looking desk, for it didn't look worth the money or trouble to move it. And I wonder how they originally got it in--the same way?

4 comments:

Dan said...

You are right! That is a very expensive way to move some furniture. Maybe the desk has some historical significance?

Thanks for the visit to my blog. You are a woman of wide interests. Thanks so much for the turtle ID and background on these. I would never have guessed that these are the same kind you buy in the pet store.

Louis la Vache said...

At first "Louis" thought the use of the crane might be for a stunt or for a film. Apparently not. Interesting shot because of the way it makes one ponder the purpose! :-)

Rosie said...

I have a friend who recently moved into a flat and she needed one of those cranes. She has a piano and they had to remove the window to put the piano in and then put the window back...
I know...unbelievable!

Thérèse said...

Perhaps there was more to come... who knows...

YANKEE IN NICE

 Edit: pastis is a licorice-flavored alcoholic drinksimilar to Greek ouzo. My favorite drink as it is for many people in this area. No more ...